Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Experimenting with Stuffed Chicken

On the Menu tonight:
Baked chicken stuffed with mozzarella and pesto
Caramelised onions and chestnut mushrooms, drizzled with garlic fried in sun-dried tomato oil
Sauteed Spinach
Chive Rice

Tonight I got to have a lot of fun, as my flatmates and I combined forces for dinner, and I got to show them a few of my cooking tricks.
As with the previous post, I used the same method of browning the garlic in the sun-dried tomato olive oil then quickly frying the stuffed chicken (to be detailed below) in said oil before placing it in the baking tray and drizzling it with the browned garlic and oil and placing it in the oven! For the baking, 200 celsius (fan oven) for about 25 minutes....

For the sides, since I had to use up all of my mushrooms (200g), I thought it would be best to caramlise them with the two medium-sized onions I had lying around:
Heat up the olive oil (do the 'water test,' aka, if you drop a bit of water and it sizzles, it's ready!) then add your mushrooms and onions. Once they have cooked down a bit (softened but not browned), add your brown sugar (done mostly by eye and preference), then stir away until cooked down to just past the point pictured above.
For the sauteed spinach? Pretty simple. Olive oil + spinach --> cook down until the spinach had turned to a deep green.
Chive rice? Cook your rice as per usual then add dried chives and butter (we use an olive-oil based butter).



So with all the elements cooked (and if you like to have fun with presentation as I do), this was the final product:

Everything was delicious, but to add a bit more description than that, I'll focus mostly on the chicken and onions/mushrooms (the spinach and rice speak for themselves):

Chicken:
Nice and juicy, with the mozzarella and pesto combination oozing slightly from the deep pocket we created earlier. Could have used a bit more pesto, but then again, I'm a pesto fiend. This could be even more improved by taking slices of sun-dried tomato and baking the chicken with that as well. But then again, another variation, another time....

Onions/Mushrooms:
Perfect amount of caramlisation. When cooking and adding the brown sugar, all you have to do is sprinkle the sugar in a thin layer on the top of the mixture, mix, then do that about three times. Soft and luscious with a tint of sweetness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment