Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies

So with exams in motion and English Literature in one week, I've been sadly neglecting this blog... but never fear! I have a batch of cookies to tell you about here.

Last weekend for a potluck dinner, I made some yummy chocolate chip cookies. Another interesting cooking experiment as we ran out of white sugar during the cooking process, but more about that later.

Here is the recipe I borrowed from Martha Stewart, as my recipe is all the way back home!

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar [I used caster]
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract [I added an extra 1/4 tsp vanilla since I love it so much]
2 large eggs
2 cups (about 12 oz) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips

This is the handy dandy measurement converter I use quite often as I bounce between US and UK recipes: http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/

Okay, time to begin! Preheated the oven to 350 (176 celsius) fahrenheit, then in a small bowl, I whisked together the flour and the baking soda and set aside.


Right about here the real work started. In a separate bowl, I combined the butter with both sugars (had to use an extra 50g of light brown sugar as I was 50g short of the caster sugar, oops!) and with a wooden spoon (sadly we dont have the facility of an electric mixer...) I vigourously mixed away until light and fluffy.














Next, I added the salt, vanilla, and eggs, stirring even faster until the whole concoction until well mixed.

Once that was done (and I gave my hand a bit of a rest!), I added the flour mixture and mixed until just combined.


And at last, the best part!! Stirring in the chocolate chips :)


Once the cookie dough was made, I placed them in tiny balls of dough on baking sheets, and baked in batched until the cookies were golden around the edges, but still soft in the center, about 8 to 10 minutes. 


Since I used a bit more brown sugar then the recipe called for, the cookies did end up a bit crisper than I would have wanted, but they still hit the spot and were gobbled up by everyone within minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment